- Code ASTR4006
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Areas of interest Astronomy and Astrophysics, Science
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course is usually offered every even year (eg 2018)
The course begins with an overview of galaxies at all redshifts in the Universe, introduces the basic tools for their study and proceeds to analyze the properties of disk, elliptical and dwarf galaxies, as well as discussing the formation of galaxies.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the whole field of galaxies, including descriptive material and advanced dynamical concepts.
- Undertake dynamical analysis of various galactic situations, Including analytical and numerical techniques.
- 4 x assignments (100) [LO 1,2]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which may consist of 5 hours of lectures and tutorials per week
- Approximately 70 hours of self-study which will include preparation for lectures, tutorials and assignments, (average 5 hours of work on assignments per week).
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsGalactic Dynamics, Binney, J. and Tremaine, S, Princeton 2008 (2nd ed).
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4013||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||N/A|