- Code COMP2620
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Computing
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Computer Science
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Semester 1 2021.
An introductory course in formal logic, dealing with propositional and predicate logic. Techniques of formal deduction and tests for the validity of arguments will be studied. Basic semantic concepts will be discussed.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Express reasoning problems using first order logical notation.
- Construct natural deduction proofs in first order logic and translate between calculi.
- Explain the relationship between rules of deduction and the semantics of logic.
- Critically assess and compare philosophical views on issues arising from elementary logic.
- Mid-semester examination (20) [LO 2,3]
- 3 assignments completed online (20) [LO 1]
- Essay (10) [LO 3,4]
- Final examination (50) [LO 2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 50 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures, 10 hours of tutorials, 16 hours of workshops; and
b) 80 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2466||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|