- Code MATH6214
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Pierre Portal
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Sem 2 2021, however students are encouraged to attend on-campus activities if possible.
This course is intended both for continuing mathematics students and for other students using mathematics at a high level in theoretical physics, engineering and information technology, and mathematical economics.
Topics to be covered include:
- Measure theory
- Functions of bounded variation over R
- Absolute continuity and integration
- Examples of more general measures (Radon, Hausdorff, probability measures)
- Fubini-Tonelli theorem
- Radon-Nikodym theorem
- Banach spaces and linear operators
- Classical function and sequence spaces
- Hahn-Banach theorem
- Closed graph and open mapping theorems
- Uniform boundedness principles
- Sequential version of Banach-Alaoglu theorem
- Spectrum of an operator and analysis of the compact self-adjoint case
- Fredholm alternative theorem.
Note: Graduate students attend joint classes with undergraduates but will be assessed separately.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the fundamental concepts of functional analysis and their role in modern mathematics and applied contexts
2. Demonstrate accurate and efficient use of functional analysis techniques
3. Demonstrate capacity for mathematical reasoning through analyzing, proving and explaining concepts from functional analysis
4. Apply problem-solving using functional analysis techniques applied to diverse situations in physics, engineering and other mathematical contexts
Assessment will be based on:
- Three assignments (30% total; LO 1-4)
- Essay paper (20%; LO 1-4)
- Take home exam (50%; LO 1-4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThree lectures per week, workshops by arrangement.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Mathematical Sciences Institute to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6260||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||14 Sep 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||View|