- Code PHIL2060
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Philosophy
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Philosophy
- Areas of interest Philosophy
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
This is a romp through the central questions of metaphysics: does God exist? what is the self? Do we have free will? Is time real? These and other fascinating questions are the concern of this course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- analyse central ideas in metaphysics;
- critically evaluate the arguments for and against competing metaphysical views;
- learn how to think clearly about key questions in Philosophy; and
- think about what they have learnt as it relates to the themes of the course.
- 2 x 2000 word essays (45% each) (90) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Tutorial participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 35 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures, and 11 hours of tutorials; and,
b) 95 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsReadings will be placed on WATTLE.
B Garrett What is this thing called Metaphysics (Routledge 2017 3rd ed).
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.