- Code PHYS8015
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Physics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Physics
- Areas of interest Physics
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Roland Fleddermann
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course cannot be entirely adjusted for remote particpation in Sem 1 2021 and will include on-campus activities.
This is a laboratory course to provide students with hands-on experience in working with photonics components, devices and instruments. These experiments are designed to reinforce theoretical concepts introduced in fibre optic communications, waveguide sensing, as well as biophotonics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Work with photonics components, devices and systems
- Critically analyse and report on advanced level laboratory experimentation and measurement.
- Be able to perform basic background and literature research relevant to experimental subject to obtain technical insight.
- 12 experimental log entries (40) [LO 1,2]
- 3 X 20-page lab reports (60) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
• Face-to face component which may consist of 1 x 1 hour weekly group meeting with a demonstrator.
• Approximately 118 hours of self directed study for students to allocate independently to include lab work and group meetings.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
Laboratory manual and suggested reading within. Also background reading in literature survey.
Two semesters of university level mathematics for physicists and engineers; two semesters of first year university advanced level physics
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3484||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||View|