- Code SOCR4003
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU Centre for Social Research Methods
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Social Research
- Areas of interest Sociology, Criminology
- Academic career UGRD
- AsPr Cathy Banwell
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2021
See Future Offerings
This course equips participants with the necessary skills to analyse and interpret qualitative data to answer research and policy questions. Students will build on previous experience in designing qualitative research methods and data collection and will develop skills in using in-text analysis software, interpreting and discussing the results of their data analysis, and the process of writing and publishing qualitative research. The course will provide students with the skills necessary to undertake a range of different types of qualitative data analysis which may be applied in areas of social science research such as population health, demography, medicine, communication, political science and sociology.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- understand a range of qualitative analysis approaches that are commonly employed across disciplines;
- critically evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of a variety of qualitative analysis methods and select appropriate methods for application;
- develop and apply skills in thematic coding techniques;
- apply skills in qualitative data analysis using appropriate data management software; and,
- assemble and present the results of qualitative research analyses in written and oral formats.
- Peer-teaching oral presentation, 10 mins (10) [LO 1,2,5]
- Practical exercise in coding qualitative interviews using Atlas, 1500 words (25) [LO 2,3,4,5]
- Final report using thematic analysis, 2500 words (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Review of different analytical approaches, 1500 words (25) [LO 1,2,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of workshop and workshop-like activities.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6691||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||14 Sep 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|