- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Asian Studies, Asia Pacific Studies, Language Studies, Asia-Pacific Studies
- Specialisation code CHIN-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Yanyan Wang
In this specialisation students will learn to speak, listen to, read and write Standard Modern Chinese (Mandarin). Mandarin is the official language of China and one of the world's major languages. As Australia's future is increasingly tied to the rise of China as a world power, the importance of Mandarin will continue to grow. Knowledge of Mandarin not only provides a means of understanding Chinese society and culture but it is also a skill valued in a wide range of professions, both in Australia and internationally.
Students in this Specialisation can spend time studying at a tertiary institution in the PRC or ROC, or other Mandarin – speaking areas. Competitive scholarships are available to qualified students.
This specialisation will advance your career in language-related and cross-cultural work in government and non-government organisations, language technologies or as an independent language practitioner or researcher.
- Express themselves in spoken and written Standard Modern Chinese, with vocabularies appropriate to the context.
- Identify and use basic grammatical rules and practised sentence structures to conduct daily conversations, and to recognize and understand basic audio input.
- Communicate in writing and speaking on a limited range of everyday topics.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of common cultural communication practices.
Students with previous “language experience or exposure” are required to take a language proficiency assessment to ensure enrolment at the most appropriate level.
Relevant past experience includes:
- Previous study of the language (both formal and informal, for example but not limited to, at school, or, home, or through online activities, etc.)
- Being exposed to the language in childhood via a family member or friend
- Travel or living in a country where the language is spoken
- The language being spoken in your home (even if you do not speak it yourself)
Students who are not sure if they need to take a proficiency assessment should seek advice from the course or language convenor.
Students who intentionally misrepresent their language proficiency level may be investigated under the Academic Misconduct Rule 2015 as having failed to comply with assessment directions and having sought unfair advantage. This may results in a penalty such as reduced grades or failure of the course.
Students are not permitted to enrol in a language course below one that they have already successfully completed, except with permission of the language and/or course convenor.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:
A minimum of 18 units must come from completion of courses from the following list:
CHIN6524 - Advanced Modern Chinese A (6 units)
CHIN6525 - Advanced Modern Chinese B (6 units)
CHIN6520 - Modern Chinese 3 (6 units)
CHIN6521 - Modern Chinese 4 (6 units)
CHIN6522 - Modern Chinese 5 (6 units)
CHIN6523 - Modern Chinese 6 (6 units)
CHIN6216 - Chinese-English Interpreting: Methodology and Practice (6 units)
CHIN6012 - Modern Chinese 1: Spoken (6 units)
CHIN6013 - Modern Chinese 1: Written (6 units)
CHIN6023 - Modern Chinese 2: Written (6 units)
CHIN6022 - Modern Chinese 2: Spoken (6 units)
CHIN6041 - Chinese-English Translation (6 units)
CHIN6526 - Learning Language Locally: China (12 units)
CHST6212 - Reading Chinese Literature: Theory and Criticism (6 units)
CHST6211 - Reading China: Past and Present (6 units)
A maximum of 6 units from the completion of the following list:
CHIN6201 - Cantonese 1 (6 units)
CHIN6202 - Cantonese 2 (6 units)
CHIN6203 - Cantonese 3 (6 units)
CHIN6530 - Literary Chinese 1 (6 units)
CHIN6531 - Literary Chinese 2 (6 units)
CHIN6015 - Advanced Literary Chinese (6 units)
CHIN6016 - Taiwanese (Southern Min) (6 units)
LANG6001 - Translation across Languages: The Translation of Literary Texts (6 units)
LANG6002 - Translation across Languages: Specialised Materials (6 units)
LANG8016 - Translation Project (6 units)Back to the top