This course examines the institutions, organisation and society of the Roman Empire during the first century A.D. to the beginning of the second century. The approach to the period will be primarily through literary sources in translation, including especially Tacitus and Suetonius.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- critically engage with the political and social history and culture of the early Roman Empire;
- analyse and evaluate primary historical sources;
- conduct research using the primary sources and modern scholarship on the period;
- formulate logical arguments based on the primary source evidence;
- communicate clearly and effectively in both oral and written modes; and
- develop a sophisticated knowledge of the geography of the provinces of the Roman empire.
- Tutorial participation (10) [LO 1,2,4,5]
- Geography quiz (15 mins) (10) [LO 6]
- Terms and concepts quiz (15 mins) (10) [LO 1,2]
- Word Essay (2500 words) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 2-hour final examination (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of tutorials.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Readings posted on Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4204||20 Feb 2023||27 Feb 2023||31 Mar 2023||26 May 2023||In Person||N/A|