- Code ARAB3002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Arabic
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
This course continues the work undertaken in Advanced Arabic 1 and introduces students to more advanced and complex texts in Arabic. The course assumes previous knowledge of the language over two years or equivalent. Negotiation and debating techniques will be practiced on a broad range of topics as well as supervised discussions on relevant issues to further promote oral and listening skills.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate routine written social correspondence and daily situational conversation in Arabic to an advanced level;
- demonstrate appropriate application of Arabic grammar and vocabulary to an an advanced level;
- initiate and maintain predictable face-to-face conversations in Arabic;
- demonstrate advanced comprehension of the Arabic language presented in a variety of audiovisual sources; and
- apply advanced oral skills in real Arabic speaking situations.
- ON-CAMPUS MODE OF DELIVERY (null) [LO null]
- In-class exams, 2 x 2 hours each (25% each) (50) [LO 1,2,4]
- Oral presentation, 10 mins (10) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- In-class quizzes, 2 x 30-mins (7.5% each) (15) [LO 2,3,4]
- Participation (5) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Conversation hour participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Written assessments x 4 - Listening and transcriptions, 3 x 100 words each (2.5% each for a total of 7.5%) - Translation, 100 words (2.5%) (10) [LO 2,4,5]
- ONLINE MODE OF DELIVERY (null) [LO null]
- Final online exam, 2 hours (50) [LO 1,2,4]
- Oral presentation (delivered via Adobe Connect), 10 mins (10) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- Online quiz, 15 mins (10) [LO 2,3,4]
- Online conversation hour (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Written assessments (submitted via Wattle), listening and transcriptions, 5 x 100 words (4% each) (20) [LO 2,3,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 72 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 60 hours of lectures and 12 hours of conversation classes; and
b) 58 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
120 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: made up of online lectures, conversation classes and structured activities; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Alosh, M., Ahlna Wa Sahlan: Modern Standard Arabic for Intermediate Learners, New haven, London: Yale University Press, 2006.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5116||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||Online||N/A|