- Code ARTV3507
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
Drawing on the declaration "All artists borrow, great artists steal" this studio-based course explores the diverse ways in which artists have drawn on influences from one another, from other times, and other cultures. This is a studio-based course supplemented by lectures and seminars exploring interesting examples of cross-fertilisation throughout history and contemporary art practice. In the studio students will explore the work of artists of as a means of enriching their own practice and research.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an active engagement with concepts and processes, drawn from historical and/or contemporary precedents;
- apply skills and knowledge to the development of research interests;
- critically reflect on how ideas and process generate meaning and affect; and
- demonstrate creative, critical, and reflective engagement with course content and independent research.
Other InformationSchool of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
- Body of studio work (70) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Work in progress review, 10 minutes (10) [LO 1,3,4]
- Seminar presentation, 10 minutes (10) [LO 1,3,4]
- Research and visual diary (10) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Students must have an effective working knowledge of visual arts principles and techniques, with some knowledge of art history, art theory, and contemporary practice. Students are expected to have developed an understanding and application of the fundamentals of independent studio practice.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.