- Code ASTR4012
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Areas of interest Astronomy and Astrophysics, Science
In Sem 2 2022, this course is on campus with remote adjustments only for participants with unavoidable travel restrictions/visa delays.
The course systematically develops the fundamental equations of gas dynamics including magnetic fields. These equations are then used to study astronomical flows in a number of different environments such as stellar winds, wind-driven bubbles, interstellar shock waves, supernova blast waves, accretion disks, jets, and turbulent flows. Through the study of these specific examples, the course develops a good general physical and mathematical understanding of the transport of mass, momentum and energy in astrophysics.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand the physical and mathematical basis of astronomical flows.
- Develop mathematical and physical skills enabling them to analyze the effects of gravity, pressure forces and magnetic fields on the transport of mass, momentum and energy.
- Develop computational skills relevant to the analysis of astrophysical flows.
- 4 x assignments (100) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which may consist of 4 hours of lectures and tutorials per week.
- Approximately 86 hours of self-study which will include preparation for lectures, presentations and other assessment tasks (6 hours per week).
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Fluid Mechanics by L.D. Landau & E.M. Lifshitz , Elsevier 2004.
The Physics of Astrophysics, Vol. 2 Gas Dynamics by Frank H Shu, University Science Books.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.