- Code ECON8038
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Economics
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Economics
- Areas of interest Economics
- Academic career PGRD
- Dr Tina Kao
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
This course involves on campus teaching. For students unable to come to campus there will be a remote option. See the Class Summary for more details.
Industrial Organisation studies the interdependence of market structures, firm’s conducts, and market outcomes. We look at how market structures affects firms conduct and market outcomes. In this course, students will be introduced to the theory of the firms, imperfect competition, oligopoly theory, and other strategic behaviours. Some applications on competition policy and regulation will also be introduced if time permits.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- In addition to the outcomes achieved by taking the pass lectures in this subject, graduate students will:
- cover some of the same material using more formal analysis;
- be introduced to the academic literature in the IO field;
- Typically a mid term examination and a final exam. Students taking the class at this level may be subject to additional assessment compared with the pass level. (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload12 hours per week
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.