- Code GEND1001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Sociology
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Gender Studies
- Areas of interest Gender Studies, Sociology
- Academic career UGRD
- Natasha Szuhan
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
How are gendered identities shaped by society? How are our identities formed by but also resistant to cultural norms of masculinity and femininity? How is gender related to sexual difference? How do gender relations intersect with race, class and sexuality? This course gives an accessible and lively introduction to Gender Studies. It introduces key concepts of gender, sexuality, and gender presentation, and the social aspects of gender.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an understanding of key ideas in gender studies through oral and written discussion;
- identify, evaluate and select relevant sources in gender and sexuality studies;
- analyse and apply theories of gender, sexuality and identity; and
- write cogently and critically about issues related to gender and sexuality.
- A blog of 1000 words (35) [LO 2,3,4]
- A blog response, of 1000 words to other students' blog (25) [LO 2,3,4]
- A take-home examination of 2000 words (essay due in the examination period) (30) [LO 2,3,4]
- Workshop Participation (10) [LO 1,2]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 1x3 hour workshop each week ; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading, and writing.
Prescribed weekly readings are made available via Wattle. They include articles by authors such as Ann Fausto-Sterling, R.W. Connell, Eve Sedgwick, Steven Seidman and Bronwyn Davies.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4443||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||View|