- Code MATH2320
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
See https://www.anu.edu.au/covid-19-advice. In Sem 1 2022, this course is delivered on campus with adjustments for remote participants.
Analysis 1 is a foundational course in Mathematics, leading on to other areas of analysis, such as topology and measure theory, complex analysis, functional analysis, and harmonic analysis. It also provides important tools for application areas such as theoretical computer science, physics and engineering.
Topics to be covered include: Elementary set theory; metric spaces, sequences, uniform convergence, continuity, the contraction mapping principle; integral equations and differential equations, topological spaces.
Note: This is an Honours Pathway Course: It emphasises mathematical rigor and proof and develops the application of the theory to topics such as differential equations.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Explain the fundamental concepts of real analysis and their role in modern mathematics and applied contexts.
- Demonstrate accurate and efficient use of real analysis techniques.
- Demonstrate capacity for mathematical reasoning through analyzing, proving and explaining concepts from real analysis.
- Apply problem-solving using real analysis techniques applied to diverse situations in physics, engineering and other mathematical contexts.
- Assignments (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Mid semester exam (30-40%) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Final exam (40-50%) (50) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Precise weights of % ranges to be determined in consultation with the class at first lecture. (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which will consist of 12 x 3 hours lectures per semester (36 hours) and 10 hours of workshops throughout the semester.
- Approximately 84 hours of self-study which will include preparation for lectures, workshops, assignments and exams.
Students may also attend optional 12 x 1 hour extension lectures.
There are no course-specific inherent requirements.
Requisite and Incompatibility
No prescribed texts.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4446||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||N/A|