- Code PORT1001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Portuguese
- Areas of interest European Languages
This course offers a practical introduction to the Portuguese language. It is designed to develop basic listening, speaking, reading and writing skills at the novice level through a communicative and culture-based approach. Students acquire the language largely through simulated real-life situations in the classroom and beyond. By immersing themselves in the language, they develop a knowledge and understanding of culture and traditions in Portuguese-speaking countries around the world.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of Portuguese grammar and lexicon;
- ask questions and directions and discuss a variety of topics in Portuguese;
- read and understand short literary and non-literary texts;
- write brief texts; and
- recognise cultural and traditional practises specific to Portuguese societies in the world.
- 1 in-class essay, 50 min (approx. 175 words) (25) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 1 mid-semester test, 50 min (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 1 end-of-semester test, 50 min (25) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 1 oral exam, 10 min (20) [LO 1,2,5]
- Performance and participation (10) [LO 1,2,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities; and
b) 12 hours of tandem language learning
c) 82 hours of independent student research.
Requisite and Incompatibility
texts will be listed on the Course Wattle site.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.