- Code SCRN2002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Screen Studies
- Areas of interest Australian Studies, Cultural Studies, Film
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Offered in See Future Offerings
Australian Cinema looks at the influence of film and cinematic genre on Australian culture. From the road movie to the Western, horror to comedy, silent film to sample film, this course surveys the history of cinema in Australia and considers how such genres and modes reflect and influence Australian cultural history. It also investigates Australian filmmakers’ engagement with transnational systems of commercial film and art cinema.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the historical development of the film industry in Australia;
- read film as a historic and cultural document;
- think critically about the construction of national myths and icons; and
- demonstrate insight into the place of film in Australian culture.
- 2 essays (2000 words each 45% total of 90%) (90) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Tutorial/seminar presentation (15 minutes ) (10) [LO 2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 12 hours of lectures, 12 hours of tutorials and 24 hours of film screening; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsAll texts will be supplied on the course Wattle page.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3330||20 Feb 2023||27 Feb 2023||31 Mar 2023||26 May 2023||In Person||N/A|