- Code SOCR1001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU Centre for Social Research Methods
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Social Research
- Areas of interest Policy Studies, Sociology, Demography, Criminology
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Liz Allen
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
This course examines key issues and assumptions in social research. It covers areas such as: formulating social research questions; operationalisation of concepts; validity; theory testing and theory construction; and strategies of analysis of social research.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- identify a social scientific research question;
- recognise what makes for valid social science research;
- distinguish different forms of social science research data;
- recognise different types of social science research methods; and,
- critically read and understand the results of social science research.
- Synoptic Essay, 1000 words (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Critical Analysis of Research, 2 x 750 words (15% each for a total of 30%) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Research Essay, 2000 words (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Tutorial Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload2 hours of lectures and a 1 hour of tutorials per week for 12 weeks (a total of 3 hours contact per teaching week). Students are expected to commit a further 94 hours of independent study over the semester (total 130 hours).
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6410||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|