- Code STAT1003
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Statistics
- Areas of interest Statistics
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Yuan Gao
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
This course involves on campus teaching. For students unable to come to campus there will be a remote option. See the Class Summary for more details.
This course introduces students to the philosophy and methods of modern statistical data analysis and inference, with a particular focus on applications to the life sciences. The course has a strong emphasis on computing and graphical methods, and uses a variety of real-world problems to motivate the theory and methods required for carrying out statistical data analysis. This course makes extensive use of R statistical analysis package interfaced through R Studio.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Summarise and graph data appropriately;
- Work with random variables and probability distributions and describe the rationale behind them;
- Describe and use the normal distribution appropriately;
- Identify when and how to carry out basic statistical inference including confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, regression and analysis of variance; and,
- Identify contexts in which particular statistical methods may be inappropriate.
- Typical assessment may include, but is not restricted to: exams, assignments, quizzes, presentations and other assessment as appropriate (100) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Students are expected to commit 130 hours of work in completing this course. This includes time spent in scheduled classes and self-directed study time
Requisite and Incompatibility
Information about the prescribed textbook will be available via the Class Summary
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.