- Code ARTV2907
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts, Design
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Beck Davis
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
Histories and current practices of stitching are rich with resistance. The accumulated images and forms created through stitch speak of labour, care and spaces of individual and collective agency. Through research and experimentation students will develop skills and knowledge relating to the rich historical, social and cultural meanings embedded in these processes and produce creative and conceptual projects. Throughout this course students will explore the potential of these images and forms as much as push the boundaries of the process of stitching itself.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate competency with a range of stitching techniques as a medium for visual expression and design;
- demonstrate creative exploration, experimentation and integration of ideas, materials and techniques, through class and individual projects; and
- apply knowledge of the historical, cultural and theoretical contexts and contemporary practices relevant to stitching as a medium for visual arts through development and execution of studio projects and research.
School of Art & Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
- Mid semester critique (20) [LO 2,3]
- Stitch-based creative project (50) [LO 1,2,3]
- Portfolio of studio work and studio theory (30) [LO 2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks consisting of lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent studio practice, reading and writing.
This is a course amendment.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Refer to Wattle.
Refer to Wattle.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2554||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||N/A|