- Code ASIA4001
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by School of Culture History and Language
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Asian Studies
- Areas of interest Asian Languages, Non Language Asian Studies, Cultural Studies, History, Asian Studies More...
- Academic career UGRD
- AsPr Christopher Ballard
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
This course offers research training for Honours students working on projects in the Asian and Pacific humanities. It introduces important historical and current debates in the critical humanities, exposes students to different disciplinary perspectives and methods, and nurtures the process of independent research, project design, and writing. Indicative topics include the history of Asia-Pacific studies, debates between area studies and disciplines, postcolonial critique, interdisciplinary theories of gender and sexuality, and theories of power and culture. This course aims to help students become confident, independent, and collegial scholarly researchers.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:On successful completion of this course, students will have the skills and knowledge to:
1. Demonstrate the ability to engage with disciplinary debates in research and writing
2. Develop a theoretically sound research design
3. Demonstrate the ability to select an appropriate, ethical method for researching a question in Asian Studies or Pacific Studies
4. Demonstrate skills in analysis and scholarly writing
5. Demonstrate the ability to present research questions, a research design and preliminary findings to an audience of academics and student peers
Indicative Assessment1. Class Participation 10% (Learning outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
2. Bibliography (20-25 items) 10% (Learning outcomes 2, 5)
3. Idea Journal (4 250-word entries) 20% (Learning outcomes 1, 2, 4)
4. Final Essay – Thesis Introduction (4,000 words) 60% (Learning outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload4 hours contact time per week. The schedule will comprise 24 x 2 -hour classes held twice per week. Total contact time will be approximately 48 hours.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Culture History and Language to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Areas of Interest
- Asian Languages
- Non Language Asian Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Asian Studies
- Asia Pacific Studies
- Asia-Pacific Studies
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.