- Code DESN3010
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Design
- Areas of interest Digital Arts, Digital Humanities, Creative Arts, Design
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Naomi Hay
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
First Semester 2022
See Future Offerings
The course provides students with a grounding in professional design practice. It requires students to research, develop and justify independent projects informed by a critical and ethical understanding of contemporary design practice. It develops professional skills in documentation and communication, and extends understandings of design through practical and theoretical perspectives on fundamental processes: problem framing, ideation, prototyping and evaluation, and reflective practice.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- develop and articulate design problems and address them effectively through creative practice;
- apply and engage with contemporary design practices and methods;
- conduct research into design artefacts and processes, and apply findings to creative production, and
- document and critically reflect on design processes and outcomes.
- Design research and project proposal (30) [LO 1,3,4]
- Prototyping and design development (55) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Reflective practice journal (2000 words) (15) [LO 2,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact comprising lectures, tutorials / workshops.
b) 82 hours of independent study consisting of a combination of research, reading and writing, and attendance.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Assumed KnowledgeStudents are assumed to have attained the relevant domain experience required to engage with industry and public.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|4391||21 Feb 2022||28 Feb 2022||31 Mar 2022||27 May 2022||In Person||View|