- Code MATH6202
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Mathematical Sciences Institute
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Mathematics
- Areas of interest Mathematics
The course will discuss the three main classes of equations: elliptic, parabolic and hyperbolic. Topics will include:
- Fundamental solutions
- Maximum principles
- Regularity (smoothness) of solutions
- Variational problems
- Holder and Sobolev spaces
Note: Graduate students attend joint classes with later year undergraduate students but are assessed separately.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
On satisfying the requirements of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
1. Explain the concepts and language of partial differential equations and their role in modern mathematics and applied contexts
2. Analyse and solve complex problems using partial differential equations as functional and analytical tools
3. Apply problem-solving with partial differential equations to diverse situations in physics, engineering and other mathematical contexts
4. Apply partial differential equations to specific research problems in mathematics or other fields
- 3-4 written assignments involving problem-solving, proofs of theorems and extension of theory (60%; LO 1-4)
- Final exam (40%; LO 1-4)
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Mathematical Sciences Institute to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6063||25 Jul 2022||01 Aug 2022||31 Aug 2022||28 Oct 2022||In Person||N/A|