- Code ARAB3008
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Arabic
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies
Through this course students will be equipped with the language and vocabulary required to understand Arabic-language news and current affairs. Students will learn vocabulary and language skills that will enable them to understand Arabic-language current affairs and media in different contexts. In this course, students will explore general themes using examples to support each theme. Students will work on individual and collaborative activities for each example
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- read, listen and comprehend to an advanced level, the Modern Standard Arabic typically used in Arabic-language newspapers and Internet sites, and on Arabic-language radio and television;
- speak Arabic at an advanced level, in the style and format typically found on Arabic-language radio and television;
- write and translate complex news reports and media texts from English into Arabic; and
- comprehend conversations, dialogue, and delivered news on a range of topics, to an advanced level.
- Participation in discussion (through the Discussion Forums on Wattle and tutorial participation) - ongoing (15) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 2 x Quizzes (including multiple choice questions, short answer and translation) - 15% each (30) [LO 1,3,4]
- Writing of one news item (700 words) (35) [LO 1,3]
- Oral Presentation of a News Bulletin (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours contact hours; and
b) 94 hours of online activities, practice exercises, readings and assessment.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Lahlali, E.M. (2019), Advanced Media Arabic, 2nd ed., Georgetown University Press, Washington, DC.
Elgibali, A., & Korica, N., Media Arabic: A Coursebook for Reading Arabic News, Cairo: The American University of Cairo, 2007.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5460||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|
|5482||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||Online||N/A|