- Code ARTH8016
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Art History
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
This course provides students with the opportunity to undertake a program of in-depth reading in an area of Art History under the guidance of a staff member. The nature of the program will be negotiated between the student and a proposed supervisor, but might include Australian Art History, Asian Art or Curatorial Studies. Students must gain the formal agreement of a staff member to supervise them before enrolling in this course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the skills and knowledge to:
1. Formulate a coherent program of reading in consultation with a professional Art Historian
2. Identify a series of art historical and curatorial studies questions and problems in a field and devise a plan for dealing with them.
3. Analyse the major contributions to the art historiography of a coherent field of study.
4. Evaluate the significant debates, problems and controversies in a particular field of art historical and curatorial studies.
5. Locate and interpret a body of primary source material and artworks relevant to the field of art historical and curatorial studies.
1. Learning Plan (Reading List / Questions and Problems / Assessment Plan) 800 words, excluding reading lists: 10% [LO's 1 and 2]
2. Essay 1: 2000 words: 40% [LO's 3, 4 and 5]
3. Essay 2: 3000 words: 50% [LO's 3, 4 and 5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from: a) 12 hours of supervisor meetings; and b) 118 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Art and Design to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
None. Reading to be negotiated between student and supervisor.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.