- Code CRIM3001
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU Centre for Social Research Methods
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Criminology
- Areas of interest Law, Policy Studies, Sociology, Criminology
This course provides a topic-specific understanding of responses to crime and deviance by a range of government and non-government agencies - for example: criminal justice, academia and business and industry. Our aim is to focus on crimes of contemporary national interest and the list of topics will vary each year depending on current political and criminal justice priorities. Students will be exposed to some of the factors that influence responses to crime such as official statistics and a discussion regarding the use, abuse and misuse of data. Finally, students are expected to engage critically with a range of contemporary techniques employed to respond to serious crime, including police practices and current techniques to control crime.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- explain the main approaches to understanding and responding to serious crimes of national interest;
- identify the main theoretical approaches to the study of crime and deviance;
- demonstrate the ability to investigate the literature and apply a problem-solving approach to a highly publicized crime event;
- compare the main assumptions about offenders in serious and repeated crimes;
- respond to and critique peer work.
- Multiple choice online exam (20) [LO 2,4]
- Designing a research proposal Part 1: Literature review (1200-1500 words) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Designing a research proposal Part 2: Full proposal (2000 words) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Take home exam (30) [LO 1,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures, and 12 hours of tutorials and tutorial-like activities; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Prescribed TextsNo texts - journal articles and major reports
Preliminary ReadingReadings will be listed in the course outline on wattle.
Assumed KnowledgeThis course is taught assuming students have some basic knowledge of sociology and criminology.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5647||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|