- Code ENGL2020
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject English
- Areas of interest Drama, English, Design Arts, Creative Arts, Arts
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Offered in See Future Offerings
This course focuses on the embodied text: how does performance influence the interpretation of a dramatic text, in contrast with simply reading it? In order to understand the play as a specific kind of text, the performance of which both influences and produces interpretation, the course involves students in the entire process of staging a theatre production. Students perform, design, stage manage, etc., a play that is directed by English staff with industry experience. Plays will be chosen from either: (i) the canon of pre-twentieth century drama, or (ii) twentieth century and contemporary plays.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- analyse the play and its characters in relation to a) historical and dramatic contexts and b) their embodiment on stage, including through the application of theories of acting and stage production;
- communicate complex ideas about the play text, production and related research;
- work as a group/ensemble in workshops and rehearsals to achieve a collective goal;
- respond to direction of scenes and characters, applying different approaches to performance when required; and
- justify ideas and approaches to performance based acting theories and historical contexts
- Major Essay, 2500 words (40) [LO 1,5]
- Tutorial paper, 1000 words (10) [LO 1,2]
- Performance assessment, length to vary depending upon play being performed (30) [LO 2,3,4,5]
- Tutorial presentation, 10 minutes (20) [LO 1,2]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of combined lectures/tutorials and 24 hours of workshop/rehearsals;
b) 20 hours of group rehearsals outside class time; and
c) 62 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
This will vary according to the play(s) being staged. Readings will include both the plays and critical materials related to their staging and the study of their contexts.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8634||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||In Person||N/A|