- Code GERM2104
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest European Languages, European Studies, Language Studies
This course continues with the development of listening and reading comprehension skills and with the development of oral and written communication. This includes an extension of basic German grammar and vocabulary, and training in and reflection on language learning strategies.
Students will be introduced to conduct a small research project focusing on migration from German-speaking countries to Australia.
The course focuses also on the analysis of literary and non literary texts - appropriate to the language level - about life and culture of the German-speaking societies. Furthermore, it engages students in learning opportunities in the area of intercultural communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- communicate in German on most topics and current events;
- analyse the language systematically and reflect on linguistic structures;
- read short literary and non-literary texts and relate them to German-speaking culture;
- demonstrate increasing understanding of current affairs in the German-speaking societies; and
- apply generic skills, e.g. critical thinking, written and oral communication, researching a topic, and teamwork.
- Two In-class tests (1 hour each) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Written assignments, (250 words each) (20) [LO 1,2,4,5]
- Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Oral examinations (10 minutes) (30) [LO 1,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities, and
b) 82 hours of independent student learning.
Requisite and Incompatibility
To enrol in this course you must have successfully completed GERM2103 or have equivalent level of language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7244||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|