- Code GERM3114
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest Cultural Studies, European Languages, World Literature, Film
This course will examine a range of themes in German cultural studies, which may include film, literature, performance, philosophy, and other media. Through the study of authentic materials in the target language, students will gain a critical appreciation of significant themes in historical and/or contemporary German culture; the precise content of this course will vary from semester to semester (for example, "German film and performance, 1900 to 1945," "Germany in the Weimar Republic," "Transcultural Germany"). The course may be taken more than once. Students will develop advanced vocabulary and skills enabling them to discuss and analyse cultural texts and their production using sophisticated oral and written German.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate a critical engagement with key themes, texts, and authors in German cultural studies;
- analyse and undertake research on a range of cultural texts using appropriate databases and discipline-specific methods;
- demonstrate an advanced level of spoken German, including skills in formal class presentations; and
- demonstrate an advanced level of written German, including in German academic writing and analysis.
2020 Semester 2
2022 Semester 2
- 1 x 2,000 word essay in German (35) [LO 1,2,4]
- 1x 1,000 word class paper, in-class test, or discussion forum in German (25) [LO 1,2,4]
- A 15 minute recorded oral class presentation in German (individual or group) (25) [LO 1,2,3]
- Class participation (10) [LO 1,3,4]
- Online quizzes or forum entries (5) [LO 1,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of seminars, including film screenings as relevant
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
No prescribed texts - materials will be made available on Wattle or a link will be provided to purchase as required.
To enrol in this course you are assumed to have knowledge of German equivalent to completion of Intermediate German 1 GERM2105, or have an equivalent level of language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8633||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||In Person||N/A|