- Code LAWS8189
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by ANU Law School
- ANU College ANU College of Law
- Course subject Laws
- Areas of interest Environmental Studies, Law
- Academic career PGRD
- AsPr Judith Jones
- Mode of delivery Online or In Person
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This course is designed to introduce students to environmental law.
In doing so, the course not only provides students with an understanding of general legal principles, methods and institutions but also provides them with a framework for understanding and analysing environmental law. This will enable them to go on and study the specialised courses offered in the environmental law stream.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Explain and critically evaluate the origins and sources of environmental law;
- Identify the key principles of, and institutions within, environmental law;
- Explain and analyse how and by whom environmental laws are made and interpreted;
- Analyse and reflect on the interplay between politics, policy, science and values in environmental law; and
- Research, critically examine and communicate in writing about a problem or specific aspect of environmental law.
- Essay 1 (4000 wds) (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Essay 2 (4000 wds) (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
- Classes offered in non-standard sessions will be taught on an intensive base with compulsory contact hours (approximately 26 hours of face to face teaching). The course will also require advanced preparation through assigned readings. In total, it is anticipated that the hours required for completion of this course (class preparation, teaching and completion of assessment) will not exceed 120 hours.
- Classes offered during semester periods are expected to have three contact hours per week.
Click here for the LLM Masters Program course list
Requisite and Incompatibility
Students must rely on the approved Class Summary which will be posted to the Programs and Courses site approximately two weeks prior to the commencement of the course. Alternatively, this information will be published in the Program course list when known.
Students who have completed an Environmental Law elective course within an LLB or JD degree from an Australian University should not take this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7141||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||Online or In Person||N/A|