- Code PHIL3077
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Philosophy
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Philosophy
- Areas of interest Philosophy
- Academic career UGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
This course offers an advanced approach to philosophy, suitable for students who have some background in metaphysics or logic, and who may be interested in continuing into 4th year Honours. In this course we study the metaphysics of David Lewis, a leading analytic philosopher of the second half of the twentieth century.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- demonstrate familiarity with some of the most important ideas in contemporary metaphysics;
- appreciate how systematic philosophy can be constructed;
- develop arguments for a philosophical position; and
- display skill in writing research papers in philosophy.
- 2000 Word Essay (40) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 3000 Word Essay (50) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Class Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact: 24 hours of lectures and 12 hours of tutorials.
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
Readings will be made available through Wattle each week
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.