- Code PHYS8752
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Physics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Physics
- Areas of interest Physics, Science, Engineering
- Academic career PGRD
- Marcus Doherty
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This course will introduce students to the quantum industry. Through a series of workshop discussions with representatives for quantum research and industry, and related areas, students will explore the current and future landscape of quantum research and industry, survey innovation and business practices, identify business and employment opportunities, appreciate the broader implications of quantum technologies and establish a professional network. Students will perform an in-depth case study of one aspect of the industry. For example, a quantum technology company or a major consumer of quantum technologies or the security/ economic implications of quantum technologies. When possible, the course will culminate with students presenting the findings of their case studies to a forum of research and industry representatives as part of a networking function.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Critique the current state and future direction of domestic and international quantum research and industry;
- Appraise innovation and business practices, potential markets, funding sources, security and regulatory implications and other forces shaping quantum research and industry;
- Establish a professional network in quantum research and industry;
- Formulate opportunities for innovation, funding and future employment;
- Develop advanced written communication and verbal communication skills.
- Workshop Journal (30) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Industry case study (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Presentation (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
• Face-to face component which may consist of 2 x 2 hour workshops per week.
• Approximately 82 hours of self directed study which will include preparation for lectures and other assessment tasks.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
No prescribed texts.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5925||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|