- Code ARTH4016
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Art History
- Areas of interest Art History, Museums and Collections
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Sarah Scott
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
This semester long internship with available arts cultural institutions is a prestigious and demanding program, in which the internship convenor places Art History and Curatorship Honours students. The Internship is designed to provide the student with practical insights into the activities and the workings of an art museum or gallery. The specific nature of the contact work will depend on the requirements of the art museum specialist supervisor, who may include curators, research program managers, registrars and learning and access programmers. The internship is aimed at providing an opportunity for learning about the field in preparation towards and art museum career.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- participate in the workings of an arts and cultural institution in co-operation with specialist staff;
- reflect critically and productively on the experience of working in an arts and cultural institution in co-operation with specialist staff;
- engage professionally with stakeholders on topics related to audience engagement in the context of arts and cultural institutions; and
- think, write, and argue about pressing issues and questions in the context of arts and cultural institutions.
- Research paper on a topic related to audience engagement, 2500 words (50) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Reflective journal on activities undertaken in host institution, written up towards completion of the semester internship, 2500 words (50) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from a combination of attendance at internship placement, workshops, and applied research and writing. Students will undertake 120 hours (20 days) of internship placement in an arts and cultural institution in Canberra. The structure and delivery of contact hours is dependent on internship placement.
Requisite and Incompatibility
In consultation with internship convenor.
Completion of a cognate major.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
- Domestic fee paying students
- International fee paying students
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5509||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|