- Code ARTV1803
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Art and Design
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Visual Arts
- Areas of interest Visual Arts, Creative Arts
In this course students are introduced to the central place of concepts in contemporary art practice and simultaneously, how to work with those concepts using sculptural materials to make their own artworks. Through various group critique and discussion formats, students develop critical skills to evaluate and understand contemporary artworks in relation to their historical context. Students are introduced to essential skills, techniques and processes of three-dimensional construction and installation. Workplace Health and Safety (WHS) instruction is an integral part of this course.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- use, create and discuss methods and strategies in Modern and Contemporary art practice;
- make artworks that critically engage with historical and contemporary art practices;
- conduct research into the practices and discourses around Modern and Contemporary Art and apply findings to creative production; and
- substantiate artistic outcomes with research and rationale.
School of Art and Design studio courses have a limited enrolment capacity. Students are advised to enrol as early as possible to maximise the opportunity of securing a place.
- Contextualising research (30) [LO 1,3,4]
- Project and developmental works (70) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Assessment will be based on the Rubric for this course. Assessment includes periodic critique and review sessions that provide formative feedback on work in progress. (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks comprising lectures, tutorials, critiques and supervised studio practice; and
b) 82 hours of independent student research, studio production, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3816||20 Feb 2023||27 Feb 2023||31 Mar 2023||26 May 2023||In Person||N/A|