- Code COMP8715
- Unit Value 6 to 12 units
- Offered by School of Computing
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
This course has been adjusted for remote participation in Semester 1, 2022.
Students will conduct a project, under supervision, that will act as a capstone to the Master of Computing program, and increase the depth of their knowledge in the computing area. The project will be undertaken in small teams. The activities in the course will normally include some combination of reading, writing, artefact construction and presentation, as appropriate to the project's topic. Application of research methodologies in literature review and evaluation will also be undertaken. Topic-specific learning objectives, project overview and assessment arrangements will be specified at the outset using the Research School of Computer Science form 'Independent Study Contract' where applicable.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Apply the student's knowledge and implementation skills in the computer science, and apply this to an advanced and specific project topic in that area.
- Deepen their knowledge of computing principles and practice through undertaking the project.
- Learn any specific technical skills required by their topic, and apply them to project work.
- Apply and deepen skills in oral and written communication, and apply these in a project context.
- Learn relevant project-related skills, including project management, teamwork, ethics in research, knowledge of relevant research, evaluation and production of project artifacts.
- Three group project reviews (75) [LO null]
- Group Poster and Showcase (10) [LO null]
- Individual Reflection (15) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Annual course. Student enrolls in Semester 1 and Semester 2. Around 50 contact hours across Team Formation Day, introductory lectures, tutor meetings, project reviews and public showcase. Around 210 hours of group project work and individual study.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 to 12 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.