- Code EURO3002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Politics and International Relations
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject European Studies
- Areas of interest Policy Studies, Political Sciences, European Studies, Politics
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Maria Constanza Sanhueza
- Mode of delivery In Person
Second Semester 2023
See Future Offerings
The European Union is the most advanced form of supranational governance on the planet, yet it is widely tolerated rather than loved. Students completing this course will have an understanding of why it is so, drawing on an analysis of the politics of Europe in a comparative perspective. Its first part will be dedicated to the study of political systems in Europe, with an emphasis on the comparative analysis of their core institutions, their political actors and voters. The second part will show how European integration affects the domestic policies, politics, and polities of EU member states of the EU (‘Europeanization’).
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:Upon successful completion of this course, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- understand the politics of Europe with reference to European integration and Europeanization processes;
- compare European national political systems;
- place EU political institutions in comparative perspective by making reference to the political systems of its member states;
- apply the various comparative analytical frameworks of political science to European institutions and policy making;
- critically analyse the role of the EU and the challenges that the modern EU faces; and
- develop research and writing skills.
Indicative AssessmentSeminar preparation and participation (10%). Learning outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Seminar presentation, 10 minutes (10%). Learning outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Data collection and analysis report, 1000 words (30%). Learning outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 6
Research Essay, 3000 words (50%). Learning outcomes: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workload130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 36 hours of contact over 12 weeks: 24 hours of lectures, and 12 hours of tutorials; and
b) 94 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|6237||24 Jul 2023||31 Jul 2023||31 Aug 2023||27 Oct 2023||In Person||N/A|