- Code PHYS3057
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Physics
- ANU College ANU Joint Colleges of Science
- Course subject Physics
- Areas of interest Physics
See https://www.anu.edu.au/covid-19-advice. In Sem 1 2022, this course is delivered on campus with adjustments for remote participants.
Optics continues to play a central role in answering the most profound scientific questions of our time. Optics is at the heart of many of the world's most powerful scientific instruments, enabling modern telescopes to achieve previously unimaginable resolution, and probing general relativity with a global network of gravitational wave detectors. This course includes interferometry, electro-optic modulation, light detection, quantum noise, nonlinear optics, photonics and the use of lasers. Expert guest lecturers will describe the application of these techniques to fields such as astronomy, gravitational wave detection and nanophotonics. The course will also provide critical experimental skills with optical instrumentation needed for many areas of research.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand and be able to explain the principles and operation of a laser
- Gain hands-on experience in working with lasers
- Understand and be able to apply the principles of optical modulation and detection as well as evaluate its performance
- Understand nonlinear optics and photonics phenomena and how they impact modern advanced technological systems
- Generate succinct laboratory reports based on experimental observations and theoretical analysis
- Demonstrate effective team work in laboratory experiments
- Examination (30) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- Assignments (30) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- Laboratory (30) [LO 1,2,4,5,6]
- Presentation (10) [LO 1,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to face component which may consist of 3 x 1 hour lectures per week, plus 1 x 3 hour practical per week commencing week 2
- Approximately 61 hours of self-study which will include preparation for lectures, presentations and other assessment tasks.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
Saleh & Teich, Fundamentals of Photonics (John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001) or later editions.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3134||20 Feb 2023||27 Feb 2023||31 Mar 2023||26 May 2023||In Person||N/A|