- Code STST8064
- Unit Value 0 units
- Offered by Strategic and Defence Studies Centre
- ANU College ANU College of Asia and the Pacific
- Course subject Strategic Studies
- Work Integrated Learning Placements
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
Strategic Studies Experience offer a small group of outstanding graduate level students the opportunity to acquire practical experience working within a strategic and/ or defence policy related environment. This practical experience is designed to complement studies undertaken as part of the coursework component of the Master of Strategic Studies program offered by the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre.
Opportunities are usually attached to a relevant government department, think tank, media outlet, non-governmental organisation or tertiary institution and can be undertaken within Australia or, in rare instances, internationally subject to the student being able to bear the financial costs and to meet the visa requirements associated with the country concerned.
The normal expectation is that students will be placed with an organisation for a period of up to three months.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Apply knowledge gained from SDSC Masters courses in a relevant intellectual or policy environment
- Develop an in-depth understanding regarding the rationale for and operating modalities of the host organisation
- Clarify professional and career interests in the context of present and future employment in the strategic and/or defence policy environment
- Develop relationships with scholars or policy experts in the field of Strategic Studies and/or policy makers in the strategic and/or defence environment.
Work Integrated Learning
- A report would be required at the end of the intern placement (null) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Workloads will vary depending on the placement, but up to 5 days per week for 12 weeks with the host organisation.
Requisite and Incompatibility
You will need to contact the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre to request a permission code to enrol in this course.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 0 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.