- Total units 24 Units
- Minor code ADST-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
This minor is available only to students who are transferring from the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) or Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)/Bachelor of Arts (Honours) into the Bachelor of Arts, and who prior to the transfer have successfully completed ARTS1101 and ARTS1102.
The Advanced Studies minor focuses on the development of ways of thinking about research, the development of research skills including skills in methodology and theory development, and the implementation of these in at least two major research projects that are undertaken with one-on-one supervision.
Upon successful completion, studentswill have the knowledge and skills to:
- understand the nature of research across a range of disciplines;
- appreciate the nature of research, including the importance of methodology and theory development, and of the unforeseen challenges and outcomes which can occur in a research project;
- explain and critique a wide range of intellectual positions and theoretical approaches to research, including discussion, identification and classification of disciplinary approaches to research;
- identify a series of questions and problems in a particular field of study and devise a plan for dealing with them including by locating and analysing the major contributions to that field, and evaluating the significant debates, problems and controversies in that field; and
- prioritise and appraise their own ways of thinking about their research.
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of: