- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Latin
- Minor code LATN-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The study of Latin is a rewarding one. A Latin minor introduces the principles of the language (grammar, vocabulary, syntax) and develops reading skills so that you engage closely with the Latin texts. The courses we offer give you a unique opportunity to read in the original language the literature, history, and philosophy of the Roman world. From your engagement with the past through its language and literature you will gain a richer understanding not only of that world but also of contemporary society. Proficiency in Latin is highly recommended also for those wishing to specialize in Ancient Greek or Roman history and civilization.
completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- consolidate and extend your command of Ancient Greek/Latin grammar and
vocabulary; to enable you to increase your ability to read Ancient Greek/Latin
with pleasure and understanding: some texts at sight, any texts with the aid
of dictionaries, grammars, translations, and textual notes;
- develop skills in reading Ancient Greek/Latin from the study of
simplified texts to focussed examination of foundational texts of the
- study these texts against their historical and cultural background; and
- promote approaches and methodologies for critical thinking not only
about the ancient sources but also
the discourse of our own world.