- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Music
- Minor code POMU-MIN
- Academic career Undergraduate
The Popular Music Minor introduces students to the musical, historical and contextual aspects of both western and non-western popular musics. As one of the most transformative cultural phenomena of the 20th Century, this minor focuses on the now globally recognized academic disciplines of popular musicology (the analysis of popular music) and popular music studies (cultural meaning of popular music). Students have the opportunity to pursue focused studies on popular music, to include Indigenous music, folk, R&B, pop, hip hop, dance & EDM, rock and jazz. Additionally, the Popular Music Minor provides students with the opportunity to develop their popular music performance practice.
Upon successfulcompletion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Comprehend the historical and chronological trajectories of 20th Century popular music.
- Situate popular musics in their wider cultural, political, sociological and geographical contexts.
- Apply discipline-specific tools and techniques to the analysis of popular music.
- Identify musical, cultural and praxial aesthetics of multiple 20th Century popular music genres.
Back to the top
This minor requires the completion of 24 units, which must consist of:Back to the top