- Code CLAS4008
- Unit Value 12 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Classics
- Areas of interest Classics and Ancient History, History, Latin, Ancient Greek
In this course, students will conduct in-depth study of a special topic in Classics related to the research interests of staff members in the Centre for Classical Studies. Special attention will be paid to the analysis of primary source evidence, modern scholarly debates, and methodological and theoretical approaches.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- review, evaluate and apply the types of evidence and approaches used by Classical scholars;
- engage critically with arguments by modern scholars;
- develop and enhance skills in close reading, marshalling evidence, and presenting original arguments both verbally and in writing;
- continue training in key methodological approaches used by historical, archaeological, visual, literary and philological scholars in their study of Greek and Roman antiquity; and
- present arguments orally in discussions and presentations.
- Seminar Participation
(10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- 2 Seminar Presentations (15 + 15 mins) (20) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Weekly Blogposts (200 words per post) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- 2 Research Essays ( 2 x 2000 words) (40) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
260 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 12 hours of contact: 12 x 1 hour seminars
b) 248 hours of independent student research, reading and writing
Requisite and Incompatibility
Readings will be available on Wattle.
Assumed KnowledgeCompletion of a cognate major.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 12 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|7622||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||In Person||N/A|