This course provides foundations and plenty of exercises in practical optimisation problems, while covering all basic elements of optimisation including forms of constraint programming as well as variations on linear programming and convex optimisation.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Be able to apply Linear Programming and Mixed-Integer Programming model to solve real-world problems.
- Be able to recognize and formulate convex optimization problems arising in practice.
- Demonstrate an understanding of theoretical foundations of convex optimization and be able to use it to characterize optimal solutions to general problems.
- Be able to define an appropriate local search neighbourhood for a given problem.
- Be able to use and reflect on a variety of meta-heuristics to escape local minima in a neighbourhood.
- Demonstrate an understanding and reflect on of the propagation of a global constraint in a Constraint programming system.
- Student Seminar (10) [LO null]
- Assignments (40) [LO null]
- Exam (hurdle) (50) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Up to 60 hours of total face-time, which includes interactions with lectures and tutors. Up to 60 hours of total preparation, repeat, assignment and practical exercise time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|9226||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||In Person||N/A|