- Code GERM2103
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Literature, Languages and Linguistics
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject German
- Areas of interest Contemporary Europe, Sustainability Science , Sustainable Development
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Maureen Gallagher
- Mode of delivery In Person
First Semester 2024
See Future Offerings
This course continues with the development of listening and reading comprehension skills and of oral and written communication. This includes a review and extension of basic German grammar and vocabulary, and training in and reflection on language learning strategies.
The course focuses also on the analysis of short literary and non literary texts - appropriate to the language level - about life and culture in German-speaking societies. Furthermore, it engages students in learning opportunities in the area of intercultural communication.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- communicate using a range of linguistic forms of German in both written and spoken contexts;
- understand a range of written and audiovisual texts, and relate them to German-speaking cultures and contemporary issues;
- recognise and use different language styles and registers; and
- demonstrate increasingly broad expertise in critical thinking by extracting, synthesising and analysing information from a variety of basic cultural texts and communicating their own reactions, opinions and arguments.
- Two In-class tests (1 hour each) (30) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Two Writing assignments (250 words each) (30) [LO 1,3,4]
- Oral examination marked on language, content and presentation (10 minutes) (15) [LO 1,3,4]
- Video Project marked on language, content and presentation (20) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Participation (5) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 48 hours of contact over 12 weeks, including online/self-directed and tutorial activities, and
b) 82 hours of independent student learning.
Requisite and Incompatibility
These will be communicated via the course Wattle site
Assumed KnowledgeTo enrol in this course you must have successfully completed GERM1022 or have equivalent level of language proficiency as demonstrated by placement test.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3623||19 Feb 2024||26 Feb 2024||31 Mar 2024||24 May 2024||In Person||N/A|