- Code TURK2002
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Centre for Arab and Islamic Studies
- ANU College ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences
- Course subject Turkish
- Areas of interest Arab and Islamic Studies, Asian Languages, Contemporary Europe, Middle East Studies, European Studies
- Academic career UGRD
- Dr Burcu Cevik-Compiegne
- Mode of delivery Online
Second Semester 2024
See Future Offerings
This course aims to further develop students' reading, writing, listening and speaking skills towards becoming independent users of Turkish language. Each week, students will explore the defining events and characteristics of a decade in Turkey from the 1920s to 2010s through film, literature, music and arts. Students will gain a deeper understanding of Turkish culture and society while developing the skills express opinions and ideas. The students will be expected to complete online study modules weekly before attending the online live session.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- utilise an intermediate standard of Turkish grammar in relatively complex sentences across the four basic competencies (reading, writing, speaking and listening);
- express simple ideas spontaneously both in writing and speaking;
- identify and explain complex issues relating to modern Turkish society within its regional and global context;
- interpret themes in contemporary Turkish society encountered in film, literature and other material; and
- articulate their ideas in structured and argumentative essays or oral presentations
Open Universities Australia Enrolment and Fees
Please refer to the Open Universities Australia website for OUA enrolment deadlines and fees.
- Participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Homework (10) [LO 1,2,3,4]
- Oral presentation (10 minutes) (15) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Mid-term quiz (1 hour) (20) [LO 1,2,5]
- Film review (500 words) (15) [LO 1,3,4,5]
- Research report (1000 words) (30) [LO 1,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
130 hours of total student learning time made up from:
a) 84 hours of learning activities over 12 weeks consisting of:
60 hours of preparation before each online class, working on the written and audio materials provided in the learning platform;
24 hours of participation in the online live session;
b) 46 hours of independent student research, reading and writing.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8372||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||Online||N/A|
|8373||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||Online||N/A|