This course is designed to develop an understanding and appreciation of the analytical techniques inherent in modern organic and biological chemistry. Lectures will be focused on the understanding of modern nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy (NMR) in structure determination and cover both theoretical and practical aspects.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Understand how NMR and mass spectra are acquired and appreciate the factors that need to be taken into consideration when acquiring and interpreting spectra.
- Analyse 1D NMR spectra to a high level of proficiency and be capable of explaining the effects influencing a spectrum from a structural basis.
- Utilise 1D and 2D NMR spectra as structure-solving tools.
- Assignment (20) [LO 1,2,3]
- Examinations (mid semester and end of semester) (80) [LO 1,2,3]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
The expected workload will consist of approximately 130 hours throughout the semester including:
- Face-to-face component which may consist of 3 x 1 hour lectures plus 1 x 2 hour workshop per week.
- Students will also be expected to attend additional activities which are on offer for four weeks: 4 x 1 hour spectrometer training
- Approximately 66 hours of self directed study which will include preparation for lectures, presentations and other assessment tasks.
To be determined
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|2664||17 Feb 2025||24 Feb 2025||31 Mar 2025||23 May 2025||In Person||N/A|