- Code COMP8110
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by School of Computing
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering Computing & Cybernetics
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Computer Science, Software Engineering, Software Development, Computer Systems, Project Management
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
- STEM Course
In 2023, this course is on campus with remote adjustments only for participants with unavoidable travel restrictions/visa delays.
Leadership, Management, Professionalism, Ethics and Teamwork
Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBoK)
Agile Project Planning
Agile Project Management
Project Scope Management
Quality & Risk Management
Project Control and Governance
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify and describe the impact of business context on a software development project, including understanding the role professional ethics plays in the conduct of a successful project
- Evaluate the features of traditional and agile approaches to managing software development to synthesise an appropriate project management approach for a project in a business context
- Apply key project management skills such as scope determination; task decomposition; effort estimation, schedule creation and tracking; progress reporting; and management of risk and quality
- Use research, critical thinking and reflection to formulate and communicate an argument concerning project management concepts.
- Demonstrate improved leadership, teamwork and collaboration skills
- Small group assignments incorporating written and oral components (40) [LO 1,4,5]
- Workshop participation (10) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
- Written examination (50) [LO 1,2,3,4,5]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Up to twelve two-hour lectures, twelve one-hour lectures, twelve two-hour workshop sessions, plus 5 hours independent study per week to a total of 130 hours.
Requisite and Incompatibility
- Jeff Patton and Peter Economy. User story mapping: discover the whole story, build the right product. O'Reilly, 2014.
- Jim Highsmith. Agile Project Managment. Addison-Wesley, 2010.
- Robert K. Wysocki. Effective project management: traditional, agile, extreme. John Wiley & Sons, 2011.
- Michele Sliger and Stacia Broderick. The Software Project Manager’s Bridge to Agility.
- Cynthia Stackpole Snyder. A User's Manual to the PMBOK Guide 5th Edition, 2013.
- Bertrand Meyer. Agile! The Good, the Hype and the Ugly. Springer, 2014.
- Erik Larson and Clifford Gray. Project Management: The Managerial Process. 5th Edition, 2011.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.