- Code FINM8017
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Rsch Sch of Finance, Actuarial Studies & App Stats
- ANU College ANU College of Business and Economics
- Course subject Financial Management
- Areas of interest Finance
- Academic career PGRD
- Mode of delivery In Person
- Co-taught Course
Second Semester 2024
See Future Offerings
Most finance courses assume that markets are efficient and that securities can be issued and traded easily and at no cost. In practice markets are more complex and there are substantial costs associated with issuing and trading securities. This course therefore explores (i) how markets are organised; (ii) how trading is conducted in these markets; (iii) the role of different types of market participants; and (iv) how markets are regulated. It considers how these factors influence price formation, investment returns and capital raising.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Discuss in depth how securities are traded in markets around the world and appreciate how this influences trading costs and liquidity;
- Communicate the role of regulation and how it impacts participants in financial markets;
- Describe in depth how price formation can be influenced by market architecture; and,
- Analyse the interaction between trading in secondary markets and capital raising in primary markets.
- Typical assessment may include, but is not restricted to: exams, assignments, quizzes, presentations and other assessment as appropriate (100) [LO 1,2,3,4]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
Students are expected to commit 130 hours of work in completing this course. This includes time spent in scheduled classes and self-directed study time.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Information about the prescribed textbook will be available via the Class Summary.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
ANU utilises MyTimetable to enable students to view the timetable for their enrolled courses, browse, then self-allocate to small teaching activities / tutorials so they can better plan their time. Find out more on the Timetable webpage.
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|8551||22 Jul 2024||29 Jul 2024||31 Aug 2024||25 Oct 2024||In Person||N/A|