- Total units 24 Units
- Areas of interest Policy Studies
- Specialisation code POAN-SPEC
- Academic career Postgraduate
- Academic Contact Dr Laura Davy
Policy analysis is essential for informing the development, implementation and evaluation of public policy. In this specialisation students will deepen their understanding of different approaches to policy analysis for informing decision-making and policy design, as well as analytic approaches for clarifying values and arguments and mediating interests. It provides an opportunity for students to develop and strengthen their policy analysis skills in a number of different traditions. Courses in the specialisation enable students to explore diverse methodologies for conducting rigorous policy analysis, and students will gain skills in how to effectively interpret, present and communicate results from different types of policy analysis. This specialisation is aimed at students who are, or are hoping to, undertake policy analysis in government, business, and community sectors.
- Demonstrate knowledge and critical understanding of key concepts, approaches and methods in the field of Policy Analysis.
- Analyse, synthesise and communicate complex policy issues and challenges from multiple perspectives, drawing on a range of methodological approaches, methods, and sources of evidence.
- Develop sound, contemporary policy recommendations to complex problems by deploying concepts and analytical approaches from Policy Analysis scholarship, including in international policy environments.
- Understand key challenges and opportunities related to Policy Analysis, including the selection of analytical methods, treatment of data and reporting of findings and policy advice, in order to manage, implement and evaluate policies and deliver evidence-informed solutions.
This specialisation requires the completion of 24 units from the following courses:
IDEC8017 Econometric Techniques
IDEC8026 Quantitative Policy Impact Evaluation
IDEC8088 Cost-Benefit Analysis: Principles and Practice
POGO8025 Social Policy Analysis
POGO8083 Policy Advocacy
POGO8210 Case Studies in Economic Policy
POGO8230 Gender Analysis in Public Policy
POGO8233 Policy, Tools and Mixes
POGO8241 Knowledge Systems and Public Policy
POPH8313 Analysis of Public Health Data
SOCR8202 Using Data to Answer Policy Questions and Evaluate Policy
SOCR8204 Advanced Social Science Approaches to Inform Policy Development and Service DeliveryBack to the top