It is frequently stated that the 21st century will be one in which China is a dominant player. This is very likely to be the case politically - but equally or more so in relation to business. Yet for many outsiders China is a difficult place to fathom, let alone do business in. The landscape is littered with companies which have tried but failed miserably to take advantage of the supposed myriad of opportunities which a country of 1.3 billion persons represents.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
This course aims to provide students with an understanding of the contemporary environment of business in China and an appreciation of some of the implications for firms seeking to undertake business there. Specifically, the course aims to:
- develop a comprehensive understanding of the many facets of China - historical, political, legal, economic and socio-cultural - which form the fabric within which business operates there;
- at the level of the firm, provide an appreciation of the variety of Chinese organizations - and managers - and the ways in which they operate;
- develop an appreciation of the implications of the Chinese business environment for foreign firms and managers operating there;
- initiate the development of specific skills that class members can use if and when they undertake business in China.
See the course outline on the College courses page. Outlines are uploaded as they become available.
Indicative AssessmentSee the course outline on the College courses page for the indicative assessment.
Students taking this course are expected to commit at least 10 hours per week to completing the work. This will include 3 hours per week in class and at least 7 hours a week on average (including non-teaching weeks) on course reading, research, writing and assignment work.
Requisite and Incompatibility
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
If you are a domestic graduate coursework or international student you will be required to pay tuition fees. Tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|3643||22 Feb 2021||01 Mar 2021||31 Mar 2021||28 May 2021||In Person||N/A|