- Code COMP6466
- Unit Value 6 units
- Offered by Research School of Computer Science
- ANU College ANU College of Engineering and Computer Science
- Course subject Computer Science
- Areas of interest Computer Science, Information Technology
This course provides basic approaches for designing and analysing algorithms and data structures. It will focus on two fundamental problems in computing: Sorting and searching. It will cover various data structures and algorithm design techniques for solving these two classes of problems, as well as basic performance measures and analysis techniques for solving such problems.
Upon successful completion, students will have the knowledge and skills to:
- Display an advanced understanding of a variety of algorithms, including linear selection, minimum spanning trees, single source shortest path, Huffman coding, etc, with real-life applications and the resource requirements.
- Expertly apply the most effective algorithmic techniques including dynamic programming, greedy policy, and divide-and-conquer, to solve some practical problems.
- Define and analyse time and space complexities of algorithms.
- Demonstrate experience in the design and implementation of algorithms for practical problems, using languages like C, C++.
- 3 Assignments (20% each) (60) [LO null]
- Final examl (40) [LO null]
The ANU uses Turnitin to enhance student citation and referencing techniques, and to assess assignment submissions as a component of the University's approach to managing Academic Integrity. While the use of Turnitin is not mandatory, the ANU highly recommends Turnitin is used by both teaching staff and students. For additional information regarding Turnitin please visit the ANU Online website.
WorkloadThirty one-hour lectures and four two-hour tutorial/laboratory sessions.
Requisite and Incompatibility
The following text book will be used for this course:
- Anany Levitin, Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms, 3rd ed.
The following reference books are recommended for this course:
- Cormen, T., Leiserson, C.E. Rivest. R.L. & Stein, C. Introduction to Algorithms, MIT Press, 2nd Edition, 2002.
- Baase, S. & Van Gelder, Allen Computer Algorithms — Introduction to Design and Analysis by Addison-Wesley, 3rd Edition, 2000.
- Sedgewick, Robert Algorithms in C, 3rd Edition, 2002.
- Aho, Alfred V., Hopcroft, John E., & Ullman, Jeffrey D. The Design and Analysis of Computer Algorithms, Addison-Wesley, 1974.
- Kleinberg, John & Tardos, Eva Algorithms Design, Addison-Wesley, 2005.
Tuition fees are for the academic year indicated at the top of the page.
Commonwealth Support (CSP) Students
If you have been offered a Commonwealth supported place, your fees are set by the Australian Government for each course. At ANU 1 EFTSL is 48 units (normally 8 x 6-unit courses). More information about your student contribution amount for each course at Fees.
- Student Contribution Band:
- Unit value:
- 6 units
If you are a domestic graduate coursework student with a Domestic Tuition Fee (DTF) place or international student you will be required to pay course tuition fees (see below). Course tuition fees are indexed annually. Further information for domestic and international students about tuition and other fees can be found at Fees.
Where there is a unit range displayed for this course, not all unit options below may be available.
Offerings, Dates and Class Summary Links
Class summaries, if available, can be accessed by clicking on the View link for the relevant class number.
|Class number||Class start date||Last day to enrol||Census date||Class end date||Mode Of Delivery||Class Summary|
|5180||26 Jul 2021||02 Aug 2021||31 Aug 2021||29 Oct 2021||In Person||N/A|